Thursday 13 June 2013

One woman's trash...

...is another woman's treasure. I have a DIY frame hanging on my wall that has travelled with me to 4 homes since I originally rescued it from a driveway in my university town. 

I always keep my eyes open for the perfect DIY 'find' but I certainly didn't expect to find this treasure. It had a ripped canvas (thanks to a teenage boy I was told), and was painted colors that would never work in my home--I'm actually surprised it even caught my attention--the red, black and gold frame was far from my personal idea of style. I knew I had to have it.

After a quick discussion with its owner, and an awkward walk home, I had a new project on my hands.

The DIY transformation began- and let me tell you, this was just the beginning.
(As it goes I've got no pictures of the beloved frame from it's early days--if you can imagine an ornate French country frame on the wall with nothing in it...you've got it!) -- And that's how it stayed for years, starting many conversations like, "what are you going to put in it?" and,  "it's kind of creepy,

Then I got engaged. And of course, planning a DIY wedding was right up my alley! I decided to include the frame in our wedding design. With the help of burlap and chicken wire, the frame quickly morphed into our seating board.


The frame as it hangs today...
 
Check out the burlap and chicken wire detail! Love this idea!
 

Then I had a baby. And of course, having a baby means taking pictures. What better canvas for displaying a collection of baby pictures than my burlap and chicken wire frame!

The Birthday Frame


The frame has now been packed and is ready for the Green House. I have NO idea where I am going to put the frame once we move--I'm sure I will figure something out. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated! (I'm open to changing it's function too by the way!)

Stay tuned to find out the next chapter of this DIY treasure :)

--Jill

P.S. A new frame was added to my collection a few weeks back-it's story in our home has just begun-- possibilities are endless!




No comments:

Post a Comment